Friday, June 4, 2010

R.I.P. Pearl!

So this happened months ago but I can't not document this important event of my life. It was a blizzard one morning. I was being a very diligent student and was still going to school. It was taking literally forever to get to school because I was driving so slow. Well... I was driving and I started to slide all over. I wasn't too concerned because I was the only one of the road. I was going pretty slow and really there wasn't anything that I could do about it so I was just letting it slide out. Well I started to come around this bend and there was a stupid car just sitting on the side of the road. Well Pearl was heading straight for the car and so I started to panic. So I jerked my wheel hard to the right to try and run into the curb. Phew! It worked. I hit the curb and was very glad that I didn't hit the car. As soon as I hit the curb the stupid parked car just drove away. Dumb car. Well I wasn't even a bit concerned about hitting the curb so I just pulled back out on the road and started driving to school again. As I was driving it seemed like I was swerving more than normal but it was super slick so I really didn't think too much of it. But then it kept getting worse and worse. Finally I pulled over and called my dad. He told me to just go to school still and take it to Sterling's (our mechanic) on my way home. So I started to head to school again but it kept getting worse and worse. I was getting extremely worried. By this time I had already missed my first class so I just turned around and headed to Sterling's. By the time I got there I was swerving all over the road trying to keep it straight. I dropped her off and waited for the diagnosis. It came a few hours later. I had done some significant damage and it was going to be $1700 to fix. My beloved Pearl wasn't even worth that much so she had to be retired. It was a sad day. I didn't even get to give her a proper farewell.

This was the tire that hit the curb. :( It is turned to the right when the other tires are all straight. It is a sad sight. Pearl has been such a good car. I got her when I was 16 and she lasted til I was 23. Sometimes I would get embarrassed that I still drove the same car from high school but I really did love her and all of her unique sounds and things that she did. I had some good times and made some good memories in her.






Pearl has been decorated for more concerts than I can even count. Those were some of the best times in her.

She was adorable and I loved her oh so much. I ran out of gas more times than I can remember in her, fit more people than was legal in her multiple times, spilled more Dr. Pepper in her than most people drink in a lifetime, didn't get her oil changed for probably a year or more on a few occasions in my younger dumber days, let boys max her out on the freeway in high school, and locked my keys in them more times than I can remember too. I grew up in Pearl and it is very hard to see her go. But... on the bright side...

I introduce Tessa!

I found her on KSL. (Don't mind the Volcom sticker. I still need to remove that.) I love Tessa. At first I thought she was a boy but she tricked me. She is just a little on the manly side so I gave her a name that is kinda manly in my opinion. Tessa. So far she has been great. We are really bonding. I would like to say that I have kept her as clean as I got her and changed my ways since Pearl, but that isn't true. She looks just as lived in as Pearl did and probably has a Sonic cup and wrappers in her right now. We still aren't as close as Pearl and I but I see great things in our future!

3 comments:

  1. Tessa is not a manly name I feel like! But it totally fits her now. I too, thought she was a boy but Tessa just fits. Pearl, I want to pay tribute to your loyalty over the years...you were there everyday to pick me up for my sophomore year, even if you were 20 minutes to a half hour late, you were there. You were always there to take me to schooner, even if that is the last place on earth I wanted to be you were there. You were always there to take me to get an "after school snack", even if it was a full meal from Arby's that I did not need in the least, you were there. You were always there to take me to get a route 44 DP, even when I told your sweet owner over an over not to put her drink in your middle console because it ALWAYS spilled, you were there. You will never be forgotten Pearl! Welcome Tessa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor little Pearl, she was full of memories! But i love the new car!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that post made me laugh. poor little pearl. I have memories of her too. like when you got pissed that I ate the fries on the way back to school at lunch and when danny and I rescued you from running out of gas. your new car is way cute though. I am sure you and Tessa will be very happy with each other. It was good to see you the other day! Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete