Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Goodbye Schooner!

Pretty much everyone that knows my family knows that we work at the Prairie Schooner. My mom has been there since Tyler was born and then I started working 2 months after I turned 15. It was sometimes embarrassing to see people from high school and tell them I still worked there.

The Schoon had its bad moments and could be very drama but for the most part it was a fun place to work. The bosses could be a pain but my mom would always say that if I could work for Jim then I could work for anyone. It is very true. But then I became one of his favorites and it wasn't too bad. Ha ha. In July Jim decided to retire and sold the restaurant with zero warning to anyone. We were told that we were all being let go from the old company and rehired at midnight with the new company. Since we were new employees we were being put on a 30 day probation. We were told this was just a "technicality" and not to worry. Christian, the new owner, didn't want to make any changes with the staff or managers, he said we had a good staff and a good thing going we just needed to tweek a few things and make it a little more modern so that more people would want to come in. Well apparently that changed. My mom and Jeff, who is Jim's son, both managers, were fired 3 weeks ago. I don't know what reason Jeff was fired but my mom's was not legit. 20 years of dedicated work, without any write ups or trouble and she was just fired one day after a lunch shift! Lynsie called and quit that day and never went back. I waited until I made sure I had another job and then gave my 2 weeks. I worked my last time at the Prairie Schooner today.
It is so weird to think that I will never work again at the Prairie Schooner. I worked there for 8 years! I have been thinking about all of my memories at the Prairie Schooner and realized that I did all of my growing up while working there. I had my real first kiss from one of the bussers that I worked with. I met some semi-famous people that would come in to eat.

These are 2 of BYU's football players that came in. Harvey Unga and Fui Vakapuna.

I was able to work with some of my best friends at the Schoon. I of course worked with my mom, and Lynsie worked there the last year and a half, and Tyler worked there through high school. It was fun working with my family. Lots of people say that they don't know how we did it but for the most part it was really good. Steph and Alyssa both worked there with me and those were the best days. We were the best hostesses together! And so many of my cousins, uncles, family friends, and neighbors worked there as well. We had some good times! And then I made so many friends. Way too many to mention. But many of the girls that I worked with will definitely be good friends forever. Some that have been gone from the Schoon for a while now and some that are still there. There is just something about spending countless hours standing in the kitchen that makes you bond. I am going to miss lots of people. I am also going to miss some of my regulars from lunch. I tend to talk a lot and so I got to know some of my customers pretty well.

But enough of the memories! I have a new job now and so far...

Thats right I work at Texas Roadhouse now! I know this is so dorky but the t-shirt is true! I really do LOVE it! I was so nervous because Prairie Schooner is all that I have ever known and I know how to do everything there and I pretty much just hate any kind of change. On the way to the Roadhouse my first day I was so nervous that I could have puked. I was sure I was going to pop out a cold sore. But so far it has been great. I really like all of the people that I have met so far. It is really different working with guys, at Schooner it is all girl servers. But it is good. I think I am taking a cut in pay but we'll see. Hopefully not too big of cut but either way it is totally worth it. It has definitely been an answer to my prayers. It is where I am supposed to be right now.

So for any of you that eat at Prairie Schooner, move your business on over to Texas Roadhouse where we have hand cut steaks and fall off the bone ribs! (That is part of my schpeil I have to say) Oh and my mom is still looking for a job. There aren't too many out there right now so if you hear of anything, let us know!

16 comments:

  1. As I read this I have a tear in my eye. I am so sorry that my problems became yours, Britney and Lynsie's problems. You are awesome and will do great where ever you work, you will be loved by your new co-workers just like are are with your former co-workers. We already LOVE Texas Roadhouse....now it will be even better with you there! Good-bye Prairie Schooner...but no regrets! Love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom loosing her job! THAT IS JUST NUTS!! I hope you really start liking the Roadhouse. I've liked it whenever i've been there! I'll have to come visit you one day! I'm sure you'll make lots of new friends fast. Your really good at that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this made me a little sad! Just because P schoon was my very first job and we had a lot of good times there! Like when I spilled bleu cheese all over that guy and SWORE! So embarrassing. And while I wasn't there that night to witness it in person, I will never forget the story of when you were seating those people in the back prairie and you fell flat to the floor and they said, "We didn't know if we should follow you down there!" Ha ha! I loved working with the whole Smith family and I am so glad that we have all those fun memories! You will be so good at TRH and your co-workers will love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh brit! reading that just made me remember that one time in high school when you ran out of gas on your way home from work and you were standing out there in your cute little prarie schooner hostess outfit and me and danny came and helped you! Do you remember that? good times! good luck at texas roadhouse, i am sure you are an awesome server wherever you are! love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have so enjoyed working with and getting to know you, your mom and Lyns. I look forward to your contined zeal for life, and reading about it in your awesome blog! Please keepmin touch with that also. Brit you live life, and I admire that about you! Follow your heart and continue to live! You have some of the funnest experiances I have ever heard. You are an amazing person, and have a great family and friends. I will see you at the Roadhouse, we love the peanuts!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im so glad you like your new job! i think that place pretty much rocks and i wanna come see you there! Good luck Brit!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So I really liked reading Alyssa's comments and remembering things from the Schooner. So I thought I'd share a few... Remember when some country singer was supposed to come in and eat and we learned one of his songs so we could sing it to him, and then we never got to because we didn't know that he came in. That's actually the only story I can think of right now but I'll keep thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also I thought that picture with the BYU players was Charles Barkley!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sucks, sorry! we love the roadhouse, so hopefully we will see you there. Good luck, i hope your mom finds something soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brit, Thanks to you and your family for treating us the best and employing our kids. Our new favorite restaurant will be Texas Roadhouse. P-Schooner lost more than just $100,000 worth of business from Utility, they lost the best employees they ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Britney you kill me you are so dang funny!!! I don't think the new owner of The Schooner relizes how most of their business came from the smith family,you guys made the Schooner that guy is not a smart man!!! I will for sure switch my business and Im sure New Deal will also:) Good luck at T.R. I love the new shirt it looks good on you:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So I'm a blubbering blob right now! I miss you guys so much! I will miss all your funny stories and talking about Twilight with you. We still need to do some hanging out. Do you mind if I bring the kids? Pretty soon you will be the best elementary teacher out there. Will you please apply to Kanesville if there are any openings? I would love it if you were my kids' teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to have missed your Farewell get together Saturdasy at Applebees. Kristen had invited me to join. I did hear the conversation was great though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry sorry!!! That really sucks out loud! I happy that you found a new job! Texas Road House is awsome!!! I love there rolls!!! Bryan, Brylee and I will see you there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brit! I really, really can't believe your time has come to an end at the Schoone! We had some great times working together there! Hope you're liking Texas Roadhouse! We need to get together soon! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. ok so I know I'm not a great blogger, but did Texas Road House suck you in? Haven't seen or talked to you or even read a new post in forever! How is it working out and everything else in life??

    ReplyDelete